a priest's musings on the journey

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More Thoughts on Honduras



One of the most rewarding parts of the Mission to Honduras was my interaction with the children. I have never played so much soccer, UNO, and baseball in my life... neither have I received so many hugs and warm smiles from hearts thirsty for affection and acceptance. One of my favorite moments was when one of the boys asked me to read a book with him. I had brought a few children's books, so I got a couple and we sat ont he ground and took turns reading. Suddenly it started to rain, and we went running for the nearest shelter, which happened to be the laundry room. We sat there and chatted until the rain stopped, and then he said that he was late for bed and had to go ... but first he ran to me and gave me a big hug. As strange as this might sound- it wasn't just a hug- it was filled with love and thankfulness.


The next morning I was walking and praying the Rosary and one of the boys that I had played soccer with came up to me and asked what I was doing. I showed him the Rosary and said I was praying but that we could talk- He wanted to see my Rosary, but he was distracted by my Celtic Cross necklace, and after touching it asked if he could have it. "O, no," I said, "this one is very special to me becuase it was given to me by my son." "But padre, I'm your son too, no?".... Well, how does one argue with that. Thankfully I had the Rosary in hand, so I showed him the Rosary and asked if he'd ever used one. He took it, and he made the sign of the cross and kissed the cross and said "I love this- may I have it?" "Yes, this you may have, if you promise you will say your prayers with it." He took it, put it around his neck, hugged me and went off to do his chores. After I left I received an email from a parishioner who stayed there for an extra week saying the boy had not yet taken off the Rosary... I hope he knows he is loved- not just by God, but by me and others...

One way that you can help this ministry is by sponsoring a child. When one sponsors a child, one is able to enter into a relationship with the child. If you can not speak Spanish, there are volunteers in the States who will translate letters for you and the children. There are three ways to sponsor a child:

You can sponsor a child's education for $600 a year or $50/month
You can help pay for a child's Room and Board for $900 a year or $75/month
You can be a Full Sponsor for $1500 a year or $125/month

To enquire about sponsoring a child, please go here and fill in the application form and mail it to :

El Hogar Ministries,
70 Church Street,
Winchester, MA 01890

Here are the pics of two boys that I will be sponsoring. I am so proud of them- and ask that you would say prayers for them when you can.

Marvin
Luiz
:: posted by Padre Rob+, 6:05 PM

1 Comments:

All Luizes are so cute ;)
Blogger Luiz Coelho, at 7:59 PM  

Add a comment