a priest's musings on the journey

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

End of the School Year


It is hard for me to believe that the semester at the University of Mary Washington is coming to an end. Classes ended last week and students are taking final exams this week. All is not quite over with the Canterbury Club, however. We celebrated Canterbury Sunday at the 11 a.m. Mass on Sunday at Trinity Episcopal Church in Fredericksburg, VA. Students read the lessons, served as Chalice bearers, led the Prayers of the People and Eliza Diliberti preached an excellent (and powerful) sermon. (Be looking for the text of her sermon in a few days).



This week, the Canterbury House is open in the mornings and afternoons as a stress free zone, where students can come hang out, watch movies, play games or take a nap. In the evenings, it becomes a Study Hall for those who need a quiet space to study. The Prince of Peace Chapel is also open at all times for those who need to light a candle before the icons and say a prayer. Here are some prayers that one might like to use during Finals (I don't know the sources for all of these)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A PRAYER FOR FINAL EXAMS

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not flunk;
He keepeth me from lying down when I should be studying.
He leadeth me beside the water cooler for a study break.
He restoreth my faith in study guides.
He leads me to better study habits
For my grade's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of borderline grades,
I will not have a nervous breakdown For Thou art with me.
My prayers and my friends, they comfort me.
Thou givest me answers in moments of blankness;
Thou anointest my head with understanding.
My test paper runneth over with questions I recognize.
Surely passing grades and flying colors shall follow me.
All the days of my examination,
And I shall not have to dwell in this university forever,
AMEN

St Ursula, patron saint of students
A prayer for those taking final exams
(Inspired by seeing so many students on AIM tonight studying for finals, which for us start tomorrow.)

Dear Lord:
Let those who are filling the library right now with their bodies and their thoughts
Study hard, but also eventually rest.
Let them realize that success on their exams comes
Not from pulling allnighters
Not from cramming
Not from losing sleep
But as the sweet fruits of a long semester
Of diligence, patience, humility, and sweat
Of losing themselves in the laborious doing
That comes when a long-held dream is finally pursued.
Let them know that their final exams not only measure their knowledge
But also, in the ending of the term, show how faithful You have been to them.
They know more now than they did in August.
They are better students, better stewards, of Your blessing of intellect.
Their thoughts are more like Your thoughts.
And no matter what happens, this cannot be taken away.
In that, let them rest
And tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday, let them learn and be satisfied.
In Your Name: Amen.
(from the blog "castingoutnines")

St Gregory the Great, patron saint of students)

My God, enable me to trust in the good outcome
of the test I am about to take;
help me to contribute my own share
of optimism and confidence.
With your grace, my God,
I hope to crown my efforts with success.
Keep far from me at this moment
any presumption that it all depends
exclusively on me.
You are next to me, my God,
the necessary and welcome presence
in all the moments of my life.
I will take this test, my God,
because it is important
for my personal development.
My God, be the source of my inspiration
in my doubts and uncertainties,
supporting me with your blessing.
Amen.

An Act of Hope
"O my God, relying on Thy almighty power and infinite mercy and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer. Amen."

Because love casts out all fear, I won’t let fear cloud or block my thinking. (from Prayers that Avail Much for Teens
:: posted by Padre Rob+, 7:51 AM

3 Comments:

I was watching a programme on theSinai monastery which we will visit in November and they said St Catherine to whom it is dedicated is revered by students who come to pray there and venerate her relics!I suppose some need all the help they can get!
Blogger John the organist, at 3:46 PM  
Hallo John, haven't seen you around in a while. How wonderful you are visiting St. Catherine of Sinai!
Blogger Jane R, at 9:32 PM  
I could use her help, John. Perhaps I should make the pilgrimage as well ;)

peace
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 9:54 PM  

Add a comment