a priest's musings on the journey

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Update:

I've been way from blogging (writing and reading) for most of the summer. It's been a busy summer and I've wanted to spend as much time with my son as possible. I will back to regular blogging in late August/early September. However, it may take on a new shape.


I've accepted a call to be the Canterbury Chaplain at University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia. I am in the process of packing and getting ready for an interstate move. I've found a great old house in the shadow of the university, and walking distance to everything. It will be nice to be able to live somewhat independently from my car.

I begin on the 19th of August. I am thinking about how to use this blog as a tool for the students with which I will be serving- in addition to musings on my faith journey and occasional sermons. I'd appreciate your prayers during this time of transition.

I will also be serving as the part time assistant rector of Trinity Parish, across the street from the University. My duties there are yet to be determined, but I am excited about their commitment to serving the poor and homeless and their openness to the new gifts that I bring. I'll keep you posted.

Peace to all.
Rob+

The pic is of the University of Mary Washington Eagle Pipe Band
:: posted by Padre Rob+, 11:45 AM

17 Comments:

Good for you! It must be exciting to move, but maybe a little scary too. Anyway, you'll be in my thoughts during this time of transition.
Blogger Ash, at 3:26 PM  
I am jeleous! A university with a pipe band. Do they need an Orthodox Chaplain?
Blogger Fr. Peter, at 3:35 PM  
Fr Peter,

As far as Ive been able to tell, there isn't an Orthodox presence on campus ;) Feel like starting a new mission ;)

BTW, Fr, out of curiosity, what's your family clan, and do you ever wear the clergy tartan?
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 4:57 PM  
Thanks for the prayers, Chris. I'm excited, but yes a little scared as well (to be honest). Thankfully, I have a few friends in DC, so if I get too overwhelmed, and can take a break and go hang out there :)
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 4:58 PM  
I might be interested in the mission idea. My family tartan is Johnston. That comes from my mothers side. I usually wear that one because I have it and the cost of having a kilt made is crazy. I am also president of the St. Andrew's Society of Massachusetts and the Commonwealth has a District Tartan that was approved several years ago so I could wear that one as well.
Blogger Fr. Peter, at 5:56 AM  
Padre Rob, contratulations! God bless you in your new ministry. I will pray for you.
Blogger June Butler, at 7:11 AM  
So much to read here...

But I knew about that already! :p xoxo
Blogger Luiz Coelho, at 10:26 AM  
Padre Rob,
How exciting. Moving is a huge chore. May the God of all pilgrims sustain you during this time of transition -- and many blessings on your new ministry!
Blogger Paul, at 12:53 PM  
Thanks Grandmere Mimi. I'll need those prayers
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 5:14 PM  
thanks for the kind blessing Paul
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 5:15 PM  
Luiz, you know everything about me ;) xoxo
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 5:16 PM  
Chris, I appreciate your thoughtful note. God bless you
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 5:16 PM  
Rob, I am just back from more travels and found this good news! Wonderful! But you're leaving our fair state :-(

Let me know if you and Zac need a meal (or an ice cream or some spare packing boxes -- I have some from my last move which I couldn't bear to throw out)...

Peace and blessings always and may the Theotokos watch over you in the transition!
Blogger Jane R, at 7:07 PM  
Thanks Jane. I just might take you up on a few of those boxes... and the ice cream ;)

and you know I love you for asking the Theotokos to watch over us :)
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 8:53 PM  
Congratulations and blessed travels. Relocating is one of life's major stressors, with all the physical labour and mental anxieties. But rest assured, as a family, you'll find comforting ground quickly. And people will be there for you as you are for them wherever you go. This is wonderful news, Padre. As you know, life is a compendium of many chapters. As they pray on Athos, after sunset, once vespers are completed, and silence fills the cells, one hears a voice of joy: Woohoo! May God continue to bless you and Zac, a holy and beloved family.
Blogger +JN1034, at 11:03 PM  
May you have joy in the journey!
Blogger KJ, at 12:56 PM  
Congratulations. All the best in your new journey!
Blogger toujoursdan, at 1:12 PM  

Add a comment