a priest's musings on the journey

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Old Swedish Hymn

A new friend who is a priest in the Church of Sweden sent me this hymn in honor of Our Lady's Day. It is too lovely not to share. (I hope the bride imagery isnt offensive. It is an ancient metaphor, and personally, I am nurtured in the idea that I am the bride of God)




My saved soul is rejoicing in hope,
to eternal good it lifts itself in faith,
‘cause the chains of death Christ has broken
and gives me in his love – Life.

With him I have found the path of bliss,
and the heavenly inheritance he has won for me,
When I fall asleep, he embraces me,
and on his arms I will go to heaven.

And higher, more bright than gold, more bright than the sun,
my soul will shine before his throne,
the good God,
dresses me in the gown
he himself has promised his beloved bride.
:: posted by Padre Rob+, 8:05 AM

3 Comments:

I'm not wild about the bride imagery, but the church is a broad and deep place, so there's room for it. I don't have a problem with your liking it.

I do love Marian feasts though :-).
Blogger Jane R, at 7:49 PM  
:) I had fun telling Zac the story of the Dormition today. I mean it *is* a great story.
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 8:41 PM  
That's cute.
Blogger Luiz Coelho, at 7:16 AM  

Add a comment