a priest's musings on the journey

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Tammy Faye, We Love You, Rest in God

I was raised in the same Pentecostal Tradition as Tammy Faye. As a matter of fact, as a teen I spent quite a few days at Heritage USA and saw the PTL show many times. I still remember watching her puppet shows as a child. Although I grew to find her lavish lifestyle and prosperity Gospel theologically problematic, I never stopped loving her, because she was one of a small group of people from my Pentecostal Tradition who accepted me as a fellow brother in Christ. I am grateful to her for reaching out to gays and lesbians and embraceing them with the love of Christ that so exhuberantly flowed from her heart.


Here she is singing one of my favorite Pentecostal Hymns, which made into one of our Episcopal Hymnals. May Tammy Faye rest in peace in the mercy of God and Rise in Glory Everlasting!

:: posted by Padre Rob+, 8:30 PM

5 Comments:

Thanks for posting this. She had an unique mission for Christ, one that she didn't expect or understand, but always embraced with dignity and compassion and inner strength, an integrity that most of us wish we had.

+ May her memory be eternal.
Blogger +JN1034, at 12:19 PM  
I saw her once in Dallas, at the Gay Pride Parade. I was struck by her loving attitude and acceptance of ALL of God's people. I really grew to respect her a lot, and she will be missed.
Blogger Ash, at 2:29 PM  
I sent you a message on yahoo mail! Am very happy this morning!I pray for you every day and I hope your interview goes really well. Lit a candle too!
Blogger John the organist, at 9:57 PM  
Prayers here too!

I never thought of "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" as specifically Pentecostal -- it was written by the father of gospel music, Thomas Dorsey, after the death of his wife and child, and was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s favorite hymn and is often sung at funerals in the Black Church cross-denominationally. But am glad to hear it's in Pentecostal churches, too. It's a beautiful song that crosses many lines. Thanks for posting the Tammy Faye rendition. She knew suffering. Rest in peace.
Blogger Jane R, at 12:26 PM  
Have you seen the film, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye"? Fascinating...
Blogger Fr. Scott, at 5:00 AM  

Add a comment