a priest's musings on the journey

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Prayers asked for a Holy Death

My mother's brother, my Uncle Jerry- aka Snake to me and my siblings (as in mean as a snake LOL) has been fighting cancer for a little over a year. His health has been complicated with a staph infection that settled in his back. Despite two surgeries and antibiotics the docs have not been able to rid his body of the staph infection. He has fought the cancer- changed his diet, sought the best medical treatments, etc- and now it is this infection that is going to kill him. He has developped sepsis nas his body has basically shut down. He awoke once late this afternoon and announced he did not remember the last week at all, and thought he had died. The doctors feel he could die any time now.

I ask your prayers for Jerry, as he begins his journey to eternal life in God. Pray for a holy and peaceful death. The doctors say he will simply fall asleep and not wake up. What a blessing!

I ask your prayers for my mother. She has a compromised immune system and the doctor will not allow her to go into her brother's room to say goodbye. It is just too risky for her. She is having a hard time knowing she will never see him again.

I also ask your prayers for my mom and her siblings, as they grieve the loss of their brother. In addition to grief that is natural with the loss of a brother, they will have to deal with the added gried that will emerge from their theological beliefs about salvation. They are Pentecostals, and because my uncle never "got saved" and did not regularly attend church, some of them believe he might be going to hell. That has to be an inconsolable feeling if one truly believes that.

Thanks for your prayers. I'll get back to more regular blogging once things settle down a bit for me.

Shalom, Peace, Pax
:: posted by Padre Rob+, 6:10 PM

10 Comments:

Rob, I will pray for your family. May they all know the peace only God can give and may they know that God's love enfolds them at this time.
Blogger Jane R, at 8:45 PM  
What a complex and painful time, PadreRod! My prayers are with you and all your family.
Blogger Lisa Fox, at 12:38 AM  
Pax et bonum, Padre. I heard of your loss via MadPriest. Prayers & supplications for grace go out to you & all in your uncle's circle. May his passing be peaceful.

Bill
Blogger bnichols23, at 3:42 AM  
I too am here from MadPriest. What a terribly painful situation for all. Prayers coming your way.
Blogger terri c, at 7:02 AM  
Our empathy and prayers are with you, PadreRob. May his impending sleep be a witness to our hope in the glorious Resurrection.
Blogger +JN1034, at 9:19 AM  
Rob, I added my prayers to those above.
Blogger June Butler, at 11:51 AM  
My prayers are with you too. May you have grace and peace in this difficult time.
Blogger Bluebird, at 12:01 PM  
May the holy angels guard all your family and the Spirit help them to feel Christ's loving embrace. May your uncle pass in peace and awake to behold the Savior.
Blogger Paul, at 4:35 PM  
Thank you all for your kindness and prayers. Peace
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 7:06 AM  
I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Loss is never easy.
Blogger Ash, at 2:31 PM  

Add a comment