a priest's musings on the journey

Friday, April 27, 2007

A Bit of Silliness

This afternoon I found myself on Benjamin Parkway behind a car with a bumper sticker that read :

Eternity:
Smoking or Non Smoking

It made me chuckle (not its intention ;) )because it reminded me of the quip the rector of a parish where I was an assistant gave to Protestant parishioners who complained about the use of incense at Sunday Eucharist. (Yes, Fr Rob was known to get carried away, having been trained that the end goal is to hide the altar in a hazy cloud of smoke). To their complaints he would reply:

"Wherever we end up in the world to come, there will be smoke. But, God always gives us a choice of aromas. Would you prefer frankincense or sulfer?" :)


Well, since I'm in the mood, here's a silly joke.

Tellulah Bankhead was at Midnight Mass at St Swithin's Episcopal Church, and as the priest passed by in the procession, she leaned over and whispered to him, "Sweety, the dress is fabulous, but your handbag is on fire."

And one more

The Work of the Parish Priest

During a Eucharistic Congress, a number of priests from different orders are gathered in a church for Vespers. While they are praying, a fuse blows and all the lights go out.

The Benedictines continue praying from memory, without missing a beat.

The Jesuits begin to discuss whether the blown fuse means they are dispensed from the obligation to pray Vespers.

The Franciscans compose a song of praise for God's gift of darkness.

The Dominicans revisit their ongoing debate on light as a signification of the transmission of divine knowledge.

The Carmelites fall into silence and slow, steady breathing.

The parish priest, who is hosting the others, goes to the basement and replaces the fuse.
:: posted by Padre Rob+, 10:54 PM

6 Comments:

It made me laugh! Thanks for your comments.
Blogger John the organist, at 11:52 PM  
This Franciscan would've replaced the fuse... whilst composing the hymn of praise!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 AM  
:) I love that comment Moyra. I have a feeling that hymn would be one of the better ones too :)
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 8:35 AM  
:) I love that comment Moyra. I have a feeling that hymn would be one of the better ones too :)
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 8:35 AM  
:) I love that comment Moyra. I have a feeling that hymn would be one of the better ones too :)
Blogger Padre Rob+, at 8:35 AM  
Thank you kindly...
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:26 AM  

Add a comment